- Instagram’s mobile app and website both have a Settings menu where you can change your password anytime.
- If you use Facebook to get to Instagram, you can change your password there.
- A link in the login screen under the password tab named “Forgot password” will let you change your password.
To keep online profiles and profiles for other online services safe, you must always be on guard. If you’re still using an old, weak password or a password you’ve used on other sites, it might be time to change it on Instagram.
It’s surprising how easy it is to change your Instagram password on a desktop or mobile device. But if you use Facebook to log into Instagram, you must change your password in Facebook’s settings, not Instagram.
Table of Contents
Reasons for changing your Instagram password
It is essential to have a safe and secure online experience. Private messaging on Instagram has quickly become one of the most popular new features of the app. Even more important is the fact that, many people use the app to promote their business, which makes security even more critical.
Data theft is always a problem, and hackers easily hack social media accounts. Scams are happening more and more on Instagram. Unfortunately, people who do bad things get better at what they do. You can protect yourself from this danger by changing your password often or using a password manager.
Apart from deleting or deactivating your Instagram account, the other best thing you can do is to keep third parties away from your credentials.
If you want to make it harder for someone to figure out your password, you shouldn’t use the same information on more than one site. For example, if you only change the password on one account and not the others, the hacker might be able to get into more accounts.
Changing your Instagram password via the phone app
If you know your current Instagram password, you can effortlessly change it within the app on Android and iOS devices.
- Head to your profile picture in the bottom right to view your profile page.
- Tap the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) to access Settings.
- Security > Password.
- Then enter your new password.
- Check the upper-right box or save button.
Changing your Instagram password via your phone’s browser
Here’s what you can do if you want to change your Instagram password via your mobile’s web browser:
- First, click on your profile picture in the bottom right to view your profile page.
- Tap on “Settings” on the top left.
- Choose the option “Choose a password.”
- Type your previous and current password.
- Click on “Choose password” to finalize.
Changing your Instagram password via laptop or PC
If you use Instagram on a laptop or desktop PC, you can change your password in your browser by following the instructions below:
- First thing first, sign in to Instagram using your computer.
- Next, navigate to your profile and then click on the gear icon you see next to “Edit Profile.”
- Click on “Change Password”
- Make your new password after typing the previous one.
Resetting your Instagram password
You may forget your Instagram password. Here’s what you should do to reset your password if it happens to you:
- Open your Instagram, head to your profile, Tap on the icon click on settings, and log out.
- Now, tap on forgot password.
- Enter your account’s credentials to proceed.
- Wait for the confirmation message or mail from Instagram.
- You can access Instagram and make changes to your account using that email.
Use a password manager to protect your passwords
Even though it might seem like a hassle, each of your accounts needs a different password made up of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. (No, you can’t use “password123” for anything.) Cybercriminals don’t want to have an easy time breaking into your accounts, so don’t give in to the urge to use a single, easy-to-remember password for all of your online accounts.
A password manager is important for ensuring you are safe online and improving your digital security. It makes it easier to make and remember complicated passwords. Unfortunately, 4 out of 5 people do not use password managers, which clears the path of hackers.
1. Why does Instagram suggest that I change my password?
If Instagram sees that your password is weak or has been broken, it may ask you to change it so that other people can’t get into your account. Your information could be stolen if you use the same password for more than one app. This can happen if a third-party app syncs with someone’s Instagram account without permission.
2. How do I reset my Instagram password if I don’t get an email?
If you can’t get the email to reset your password, it could be because the email is going to your spam folder. You might have made a mistake when you first joined Instagram and put in your email address. Look in your spam folder if you want to find your email to reset your password.
3. What can I do if I get an email telling me to change my password but still can’t get into Instagram?
You can ask for your Instagram password to be sent to you again if you can’t remember it. This email will ask you to either log in right away from your email address or change the password before you log in. There could be more than one reason why this email to reset your password doesn’t work.
You should no longer be able to use the link to reset your password. Try getting a new one.
Make sure you change the password instead of logging in when you click “reset your Instagram password” in the email.
4. Can I change my Instagram password so I can use it for more than one account?
Yes, if you change the password to log in to more than one Instagram account, that new password will work for all of the accounts you have linked. You can’t add another Instagram account to the same login, but you can always take one away. After taking it off, you can’t add an account to your single login.
5. How can I change my old Instagram password if I don’t know it?
- Open the screen for logging in and click “Get help logging in” under the word “login.”
- Type in your email address, user name, or phone number, or click “Login with Facebook.”
- Click “Next” and then do what the screen says.
- You’ll get a link in your email or on your phone to change your password.
- Click “forgot password” on the login screen right above “login.”
- Click your name or number.
- Type in your email address, username, or phone number, and then click “next.”
- You’ll get an email with a link to change your password.